Date: 3/7/18 7:07 am
From: Jim Farley <jamesfarley...>
Subject: Wood Ducks and Red-breasted Mergansers
Tom Masters and I birded the Shenandoah River Monday morning. Although the starting temperature was 30, there were some indication of early migration We ran into 2 large rafts of Red-breasted Mergansers The first near Moulton Point had 14 ducks including 4 males. The second group was 9 males off the Millville boat ramp below the S curve. We also had three pairs of Wood ducks along the shore above the dam near the power plant: FOS for us. We also had:
85 Buffleheads (mostly near the River Rafters location with a couple off Millville).
3 Double-crested Cormorants
3 Ring-necked Ducks
50 Common Mergansers (Located in many locations along the river).
2 Hooded Mergansers
40 Canada Geese
4 Mallards

We also observed 4 Great Blue Herons on nests at their old rookery near the power plant.

We birded from 8-11. Temp went from 30 to 37. Sunny with breezes 10 MPH

Good Birding!
Jim Farley
Jefferson County
Join us on Facebook!