Date: 3/6/18 7:31 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: North American Birds
Adrian and Christopher Hinkle have taken over and are tracking more recent seasons. After serving as Oregon’s regional editor for nearly 15 years I gradually lost interest as the publication of issues slipped further and further behind schedule. The recent online and then print issue, which covers of the Fall of 2015, recounts a season that ended 28 months ago. Given the current speed at which information moves, this is unacceptable and in my opinion it undermines both the value and credibility of this venerable and once highly-respected journal.

In 2016 long time editor Ned Brinkley “retired” and the journal was then essentially editor-less and dead in the water for about a year. Ned’s departure and the uncertain future paved the way for my resignation. I miss the role I once played and I am exceptionally proud of the work we did for many years. Doing research, tracking sightings and writing reports when you have no idea if and when they will ever get published wears on you.

Perhaps the new co-editors and ABA will figure out a way to get back on track and get back on a publication schedule that is more consistent and timely. I have moved on. I wish them luck. The new editors and Oregon’s new regional editors are surely better prepared than 58-year-old me to chart the course into the future.

It pains me to see seasonal reports missing the Oregon reporting, but sometimes self preservation trumps such emotions.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 6, 2018, at 6:28 PM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...><mailto:<acontrer56...>> wrote:

Except for a couple of seabirds. I’m not sure what is supposed to be happening. Is there an Oregon editor? Are we all supposed to send in our reports in the traditional way?

Alan Contreras

Eugene, Oregon<>

On Mar 6, 2018, at 6:23 PM, Mike Patterson <celata...><mailto:<celata...>> wrote:

I note that for the second consecutive issue there are no Oregon

Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR
That question...
POST: Send your post to <obol...><mailto:<obol...>
OBOL archives:<>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...><mailto:<obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!