Date: 3/6/18 12:01 pm
From: Laura Paulson <laura...>
Subject: [texbirds] Fwd: eBird Report - Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), 06-Mar-2018
Hello Texbirders,
The most patient, delightful birders and the Gray Hawk that flew in and
perched at the end of our walk were, hands down, the highlight of today's
walk. Birds were present but often in hiding with the weather seeming to
put a hush on things. We made the best of it, spending time to really look
at and listen to every bird (plants and snails too!) An amusing moment was
when Steve got everyone on a White-tailed Hawk from the tower. Everyone,
that is, except Laura, who was looking at a Harris's Hawk and (delicately)
arguing with Steve's ID. Turns out we were both right. The old "maybe we
are looking at different birds" adage turned out to be real this time.
*Guided walks leave from the Visitor Center at 8:30 am every day but Sunday
through March 17*. After next week it is time for us to migrate but during
the last two weeks in March, Thursday-Saturday walks will continue with
John and Sue. Hawk Watch begins March 14, seven days a week from 8am-1pm,
on the levee. Spotters welcome and appreciated!

Laura and Steve Paulson
USFWS Volunteers
Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge
Alamo, Texas