Date: 3/6/18 9:38 am
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] HuntleyMeadows Monday morning Birdwalk.
Once again we must apologize for the late submission of this edition of the HuntleyMeadows Monday morning Birdwalk.  We attracted 28 birders, and tallied 50 species.   Our highlights included 5 wild Turkeys; 19 Wood Ducks (many more than the past this winter); 5 Bald Eagles; and a Merlin.

Canada Goose  13
Wood Duck  19
Northern Shoveler  23
Gadwall  11
Mallard  17
Green-winged Teal  30
Hooded Merganser  6
Wild Turkey  4
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Great Blue Heron  2
Black Vulture  2
Turkey Vulture  10
Bald Eagle  5
Red-tailed Hawk  1
American Coot  6
Ring-billed Gull  5
Mourning Dove  6
Barred Owl  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Downy Woodpecker  6
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Merlin  1
Eastern Phoebe  1
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  2
Fish Crow  5
Carolina Chickadee  9
Tufted Titmouse  9
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
Brown Creeper  1
Carolina Wren  5
Golden-crowned Kinglet  3
Eastern Bluebird  6
Hermit Thrush  3
American Robin  30
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
Dark-eyed Junco  6
White-throated Sparrow  7
Song Sparrow  11
Swamp Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  4
Red-winged Blackbird  80
Rusty Blackbird  17
Common Grackle  2
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  2

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 8AM (7AM from March through October), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Nancy VehrsFriends of Huntley Meadows Park