Date: 3/6/18 6:45 am
From: Jay Schneider <0000009702d2b20d-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Gray-headed Junco continues at Hobbs VC
I have it outside the visitor center window now.

Jay Schneider
Asst. Supt.
Hobbs State Park

Subject: Gray-headed Junco continues at Hobbs VC
To: <ARBIRD-L...>
Date: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, 6:58 AM

The Gray-headed
Junco found and photographed by Karen Garrett at Hobbs State
Park-Conservation area Visitor Center on February 28 was
still present yesterday (March 5) afternoon. Joan Reynolds
first spotted it on the
ground under bushes near the VC. Later, we saw it again and
managed a few photos while it was on a hanging platform
feeder visible from inside the VC. Photos compromised by
bright back light.

As Kim Smith
pointed out in his posting of a few days ago, this Dark-eyed
Junco subspecies was formerly a full species. According to
online Birds of North America: "J. h. caniceps
(Woodhouse, 1853); type locality
San Francisco Mtn., AZ. Breeds in mountains from s. Idaho,
n.-central and e. Nevada, and s. Wyoming south to s. Nevada,
e. California (White, Grapevine, and Clark Mtns.), and east
to central Colorado and n. New Mexico; winters to lower
elevations and east
to w. Nebraska and w. Texas, south to Sonora, n. Sinaloa,
Chihuahua, and n. Durango; rare but regular west to sw.
California (e.g., San Diego Co.)." It is extremely rare
in Arkansas. Prior to Karen's discovery, only one
previous Arkansas record, from 1963.

I am amazed AGAIN
at what incredible travelers are these tiny packages of
reality. 19 grams of indisputable fact about how utterly
amazing and surprising is our planet.

Join us on Facebook!