Date: 3/5/18 1:54 pm
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Roughly 100,000 Snow Geese, Morrow County
Hello all,

Yesterday afternoon, Peyton Cook, Em Scattaregia, Adrian Hinkle, and myself
were treated to quite the spectacle. While scanning the Columbia River in
the town of Boardman, Oregon, we located a thick, white band, stretching an
impressive distance, far out in the river toward the Washington side. Due
to distance and heat shimmers, we couldn't really make out what the white
band was, but speculated that it must be Snow Geese. We drove to a closer
location upriver, and were finally able to determine they were in fact Snow
Geese. It was very difficult to estimate their numbers on the water, as the
density was impossible to judge, but appeared extremely clustered. Probably
5-10 minutes after observing the flock from a closer distance, something
caused all the geese to take flight. In between having our jaws drop to the
ground, Peyton somehow managed to find his composure and digiscope the awe
inspiring group of birds taking flight. We counted first by 100's, then
1000's, then 10,000's. Our estimates range from 100.000 to 125,000 birds.
Granted, it is extremely difficult to count to such a high number in the
field, and I'm sure our estimates have a healthy margin of error, but I
feel we are in the ball park. Below is the footage of most of the flock
that we were able to capture below. I've also included an eBird checklist
with a still and exact location.

Good birding,
-Nick Mrvelj

Join us on Facebook!