Date: 3/5/18 11:40 am
From: Laura Paulson <laura...>
Subject: [texbirds] Fwd: eBird Report - Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), 05-Mar-2018
Hi Texbirders,
Wintering waterfowl numbers were up a bit today at Pintail Lakes with lots
of Gadwall, the trifecta of Blue-winged, Green-winged and Cinnamon Teal,
Wigeon, Lesser Scaup, Mottled and Ruddy Duck found. It was interesting to
find two kingfishers out there in the same spot we had two kingfishers
yesterday. The Belted Kingfisher male was sitting in exactly the same spot
that a female Ringed Kingfisher was perched yesterday. Watching him catch
and eat a large crayfish was certainly a walk highlight. And where
yesterday we had a female Greenfisher, today we had a male. Both Tropical
and Couch's Kingbirds cooperated by calling for us. Always helpful! Walking
back to Willow, it was great to find one of our pauraques as it had been a
week since we had been able to locate any. Any day with a pauraque is a
good one!
Guided walks leave the Visitor Center at 830 am every day but Sunday. All
are welcome.

Laura and Steve Paulson
USFWS Volunteers
Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge