Date: 3/5/18 8:01 am
From: William Otto <william.otto...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Spring arrivals in Machias
This weekend I had a flurry of activity at my feeders in Machias, ME. While
I have had a Fox Sparrow and several American Tree Sparrows throughout the
winter, I had a Song sparrow and a White-Throated sparrow make their
appearance on Saturday.

In addition I had first of the year Red-winged Blackbirds and Common
Grackles. An interested side observation was the second time I have had a
Ruffed Grouse in my yard.

The Cardinals and the Tufted Titmouse that have been periodic visitors
through the winter have both started singing this past week.

Spring must be in the air.

William Otto
Professor of Chemistry
Chair, Environmental and Biological Sciences Division
University of Maine at Machias
107a Science, UMM
116 O’Brien Ave, Machias, ME 04654
fax: 207-255-1390