Date: 3/5/18 6:08 am
From: Marshall Faintich via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] Red-naped Sapsucker
Marlene Condon posted a link to a photo of the Red-naped Sapsucker that she
saw in Albemarle County. Although I have seen and photographed 100+
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, I have only seen one Red-naped Sapsucker, and
that was a year ago in Arizona (photos can been viewed on my Woodpecker
photo pages:

As I have only seen one Red-naped Sapsucker, my posting here is really more
of a question for learning than disputing Marlene's identification. The
photo that she posted is clearly an interesting bird. When I first looked at
it, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker jumped into my mind - perhaps the gizz, or
posture of the bird. But this bird clearly has red on its nape. So I started
checking references. Although Sibley's hardback field guide does not state
the following, his electronic app states for Yellow-bellied, "nape, usually
white, occasionally red." It also states that the throat of the
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker has "limited red with a complete black border" as
seen in Marlene's photo, whereas the Red-naped Sapsucker's throat has
"extensive red with incomplete black border," which is also the case in my
photos of this species taken in Arizona. Additionally, Sibley's hardback
guide states that the Red-naped has white bars in two rows on its back, and
the Yellow-bellied has messy white bars on its back. I can't tell from the
side view on Marlene's photo what its back really looks like. I also can't
see its white wing bar, but that feature might be covered by breast

So for those of you with expert knowledge of sapsuckers, is this bird a
Red-naped or a variation of a Yellow-bellied? Either way, it's an
interesting bird, and thanks to Marlene for posting the photo.

Marshall Faintich

Crozet, VA

<marshall...> <>

In real life, the shortest distance between two points is never a straight
line, so you might as well enjoy the journey !!