Date: 3/5/18 4:58 am
From: Rowe, Richard A, 'Dick' via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Red Crossbills and BC Chickadees
Yesterday, Lucy (my daughter) and I headed up the Briery Branch Gap (west of Dayton, VA) to look for crossbills and whatever else we could find. It was still a bit windy up there and chilly. The birds were sparse, but we did see 3 Red Crossbills, a number of Black-capped Chickadees, Goldfinches, 1 Raven, and some juncos. As a result of the wind the previous few days, there were a number of trees down with several on the road, but the road was passable without any issues.

We also stopped at Silver Lake in Dayton. There were a few ducks - Redheads, continuing Long-tailed Duck, Mallards, and Ring-necks, We looked for the Eurasian Collared Doves at the two locations the inhabit near the Shenandoah Valley Produce exchange, but no luck with them.

A few photos are at:

Dick Rowe
VMI Biology Dept