Date: 3/4/18 4:51 pm
From: Ken Hartman <kahartman...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Dallas County Red-tailed Hawk
Christian - I took a look at your photos, and I'm gonna have to disagree
with you. All the Harlan's Hawks I've seen (or seen photos of) have white
tails with no red in them, and no rufous on the breast. Really there is no
rufous or red on them anywhere. Your bird with the rufous breast and red
tail looks like an intermediate Western Red-tailed Hawk. The second edition
Sibley Guide has great drawings on pages 138-139 that show this. Also a
photo page on Harlan's at:

Ken Hartman

Houston, TX

Hey there,

I had a job in SE Dallas county this morning, and convinced myself to run
down to the same area to try to re-find the Red-tailed Hawk I had seen and
photographed yesterday, and hopefully get some better pictures.

I was successful in re-finding this bird near the farm houses on Parkinson
Rd just north of Nokes Rd. I was very lucky to get some digibinned shots of
it in flight, as well as some digiscoped shots of the bird shaking its
plumage showing the upper side of the tail. Over the course of about 45
minutes it remained within a 1/4 mile of this area, soaring and perching,
and interacting with several other Red-tailed Hawks in the area. Both the
other regular HarlanTs Hawks were seen in the area as well.

See the pics I was able to get in this album:

I believe that this is a HarlanTs Hawk and not a calurus Red-tailed Hawk.
Specific marks that are characteristic of Harlan's Hawks are the white
streaking on the face (especially near the right eye), some white speckling
on the underparts, and the white base to the body feathers (visible in the
photo of the bird shaking it's plumage).

Also, I was not able to re-find the White-tailed Hawk.

Christian Walker

Independent Adjuster

Irving, Texas

(512) 431-2495