Date: 3/4/18 3:27 pm
From: Diane L via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Madison Run (Shenandoah National Park), Pine Warbler -- Rockingham Co.
Our local go-to trek for returning Pine Warblers (and soon, Louisiana Waterthrush) turned up at least one singing male Pine Warbler today.  Dave Wendelken and I first heard it and were glad to get a brief look at the bright yellow guy, ruling out the also-present juncos.  We've had a couple of local wintering Pine Warbler sightings, but this was my early record for a songster.  Fun!

We had nice bird activity, with about 17 species in all.  Lots of Golden-crowned Kinglets, a threesome of soaring ravens, two Brown Creepers together, two Wood Ducks and a distant calling Barred Owl were other highlights.

We hiked in from Madison Run Fire Road's western terminus in the Shenandoah Valley, at the Park Boundary east of Grottoes.  This is a well-maintained, gated SNP Fire Road.  It's a beautiful creek-side hike through mixed deciduous and evergreen forest that's also well-known for butterflies and spring wildflowers.

Diane Lepkowski