Date: 3/4/18 2:30 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report
*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report*

Barbara, Fred and I led the SAS Minto-Brown Island Park bird walk on Sunday
morning. We were joined by 10 other birders in what was a foggy and cool
morning. The temperatures ranged from 32 degrees to 48 degrees. Midway
through the walk the wind picked up and it felt colder than it really was. We
walked about 3.4 miles as we covered the east side of the park including
portions of the Red Osprey, Purple Rabbit and Blue Heron Loops and along
the Willamette River. The bird activity was fair given the weather
conditions. During the trip we observed (saw or heard) 36 species.

The highlights were as follows:

· The sparrows were the bird family of the day. We observed *Fox
Sparrows*, *Golden-crowned Sparrows*, *Dark-eyed Juncos*, *Song Sparrows*, *and
Spotted Towhees* along with a few *White-crowned Sparrows*. A few of the
sparrows were singing;

· We saw 12 *Lesser Scaup* in a group on the Willamette River. We
also saw a male *Bufflehead* flying down the middle of the river. The
river also yielded a few gulls, a *Killdeer* and a *Belted Kingfisher. *Other
ducks seen were *Mallards* and *American Wigeon. *We did not see any* Wood

· It was a slow day for raptors as we only saw two *Red-tailed
Hawks* and a *Bald Eagle*. However, two other birders we met up with said
they saw two *Osprey* at the slough near Parking Lot #4;

· We saw several nice mixed groups of chickadees and kinglets
during the bird walk. We got nice looks at the *Ruby-crowned* and

· We saw at least two flocks of *Bushtits* moving about the park. We
also observed several Brown Creepers including what appeared to be a pair
of creepers; and

· One of the key misses was the woodpeckers as we only had the
four *Northern
Flickers*. Also no warblers, not even a Yellow-rumped Warbler. Although
it is a little early for some of the warblers.

The next field trip is the *Ankeny NWR field trip* on *Tuesday, March 20th
at 8:00 AM.* Meet at the Overlook off of Ankeny Hill Road. The next *SAS
Shorts* is at Cascades Gateway Park on *Wednesday, March 28th at 9:00
AM.* Meet
in the parking lot. Please join us if you can. Also a workshop on “The
Evolution of Birds” is scheduled for Saturday, March 24th from 10:00 AM to
12 noon. The workshop will take place at ODFW, 4034 Fairview Industrial
Drive in Salem. The cost is only $10.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for March 4, 2018*

*Identified Species: 36*

15 Cackling Goose
13 Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima)
7 American Wigeon