Date: 3/3/18 7:23 pm
From: Lowell Johnson <ljohnson...>
Subject: Killdeer and Merlin report in River Pond State Park, first of season Eastern Phoebe
I erroneously reported my Killdeer and Merlin sightings as April 1, not March 1. I believe that qualifies me as March fool of the month. If my credibility is not totally destroyed, I will report seeing my first Eastern Phoebe of the year. I was out at Tuttle Creek Cove Park today, MARCH 3, and during my descent into the first open campground a small flock of birds flushed into the brush. Several were obviously juncos, but I grabbed my glasses in hopes of seeing some other sparrows. I quickly spotted a bird, gray above and white below that was pumping its tail and that lacked a junco's beak. I was a bit surprised to see a phoebe this early in the year, but I guess we have had a mild winter.

Great birding!

Lowell Johnson

Manhattan KS

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to