Date: 3/3/18 2:26 pm
From: Marv Breece <marvbreece...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Skagit & Snohomish Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk

Yesterday (3.2.18) while driving on the Samish Flats (Skagit County), north of the East 90, I spotted an unusual perched Red-tailed Hawk. The bird had a streaked white breast and a dark belly. A closer look revealed white spectacles. Harlan’s, perhaps. I needed a good look and a photo of the tail. My experience with Harlan’s is that they are very shy. If I had set up a tripod, the bird would have flown. Yet the bird seemed quite comfortable where it was, so I settled in to try for hand held videos from inside the car. It took an hour, but the bird finally did a tail stretch and video was running at the time. The whitish tail confirmed Harlan’s. Referring to Brian Wheeler’s Raptors of Western North America , I believe this bird is what the author calls a light intermediate morph.

Photos & videos of this bird:

2 videos:

3 images

“Exotics” for the day included 2 species of pheasant at the West 90 and 10 or 12 (Wild) Turkeys just south of Edison.

Other observations included copulation of the Bald Eagle pair at the nest site at Hayton Preserve on Fir Island.

Also, the adult light morph Harlan’s continues on 7 th off of Pioneer between Silvana and I5 in Snohomish County.

It was a good day.

Marv Breece
Tukwila, WA

Concepts shape our world.