Date: 3/3/18 11:15 am
From: Sue Ewan <ewans...>
Subject: [texbirds] FW: eBird Report - Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), Mar 3, 2018
Afternoon Texbirders!
A large group joined the fun this morning and the birds were rather cooperative! One highlight was the Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet, which allowed everyone to get a good view as it gleaned in a newly-leafed Honey Mesquite. The Altamira Orioles are being seen in pairs, hopefully in preparation for nesting season – we’ll certainly keep our eyes open for the long, Spanish Moss nests, as the weaving begins. Finally, finally, finally, the Couch’s Kingbirds are singing and being seen in the refuge – they had been absent here for some time, but their song now echoes through the thorn-scrub. What a time to be present and enjoy the songs and sights!
Bird walks leave the Visitor’s Center daily except Sunday at 8:30am. Come and join the fun.
John and Sue Ewan
USFWS volunteers
Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), Hidalgo, Texas, US
Mar 3, 2018 8:26 AM - 11:49 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.63 mile(s)
Comments: Morning bird walk Willow and Chachalaca trails
42 species

Blue-winged Teal 15
Cinnamon Teal 6
Northern Shoveler 15
Gadwall 2
Mottled Duck 4
Green-winged Teal 2
Least Grebe 2
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 6
Harris's Hawk 4
American Coot 18
Black-necked Stilt 18
Long-billed Dowitcher 12
Wilson's Snipe 1
White-tipped Dove 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker 2
Ladder-backed Woodpecker 1
American Kestrel 1
Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet 2 1Heard only 1seen
Great Kiskadee 5
Couch's Kingbird 2
White-eyed Vireo 2
Green Jay 8
Tree Swallow 35
Black-crested Titmouse 2
Verdin 2
Carolina Wren 2 Heard only
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2
Clay-colored Thrush 1
Long-billed Thrasher 4 3 Heard only, 1 seen
Northern Mockingbird 3
Orange-crowned Warbler 3
Common Yellowthroat 2
Olive Sparrow 3
Lincoln's Sparrow 2
Northern Cardinal 4
Altamira Oriole 6
Red-winged Blackbird 75
Great-tailed Grackle 1
Pine Siskin 4 Small bird streaked sides and breast with yellow on the side continuing birds

View this checklist online at

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!