Date: 3/3/18 8:10 am
From: 'Dan Stringer' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] Feeder Summary (Douglas Co)
My house west of Larkspur in Douglas County is above the Plum Creek valley
floor, just under 7000' with ponderosa pine / gambel oak, below where it
starts to pitch upwards into higher ridges of the Pike National Forest
behind the neighborhood. I get some birds coming up from the plains-ish
area below me but mostly foothills type birds coming down from above. This
morning was typically birdy but a bit more interesting, among the throngs
of Pine Siskins, Mountain Chickadees, Pygmy Nuthatches, and Steller's Jays,
were a small contingent of Cassin's Finches, third time they've come and
gone this winter, four Red Crossbills came in for a first of winter
appearance (two males and two females) and stayed longer than usual, a
couple hours on and off vs. their typical pillage the cones, feeder, and
then disappear routine...and right near their arrival a single Common
Redpoll showed up for the first time in my yard. I would have expected
either none or a small flock, but it was a single bird. It seemed to be
hanging with the Crossbills but was getting run off the feeder by the other
small birds and after two attempts it hasn't returned. I've been looking
for Redpolls everywhere, all winter...I should have just stayed home. Other
birds were Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers, Northern Flicker, House Finches,
Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, a Woodhouse's Scrub
Jay, Gray-headed and Oregon Dark-eyed Juncos, and two resident American

Dan Stringer
Larkspur, CO

To view this discussion on the web visit<0b78312f-f9d1-46b8-b439-0d679f70d8a6...>
For more options, visit

Join us on Facebook!