Date: 3/2/18 2:05 pm
From: Stephen Johnson via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] windy birding (nothing much) in Fairfax + Loudoun 02 March

Hello birders,
Just for kicks today, and who doesn't get a kick out of buffeting winds and downed trees, I went out and checked local water holes. Maybe something would seek refuge there, I thought - gulls, waterfowl, etc.

Mostly western Fairfax, and a little eastern Loudoun County. There were Ring-necked Ducks at two locations, and Green-winged Teal at one. Details below.

Steve Johnson
Fairfax, Virginia

omitting Canada Geese, Mallards, and Ring-billed Gulls -- --

Sully Woodlands (pond surrounded by cedars across Pleasant Valley Road from the meadow) - Ring-necked Duck
South Riding Golf Course pond on Braddock Road - no waterfowl
Pond on Middlesex Road in South Riding - Mute Swan, Gadwalls, Ring-necked Ducks
UOSA pond in Centreville - Gadwalls, Pied-billed Grebes - not many waterfowl left
Chantilly National Golf Club lake - a bunch of Mallards and 2 Green-winged Teal had taken refuge in the flooded area (vernal pond??) at the edge of the woods, some distance away from the lake. Also Gadwalls in the lake.