Date: 3/2/18 11:25 am
From: Sue Ewan <ewans...>
Subject: [texbirds] FW: eBird Report - Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), Mar 2, 2018
Afternoon Texbirders,
What an amazing morning at Santa Ana blue skies, a little breeze, bird song everywhere! Perhaps the highlight of the morning was the discovery of an active Verdin nest side entrance, with feathers hanging out and the Verdin hovering close. We were all able to watch interactions between the male and female. We heard multiple Long-billed Thrashers, and finally, at the junction of Willow and Cattail trails, we decided to give chase. About a hundred yards down the Cattail trail, the Long-billed was spotted, giving everyone the opportunity to watch his body as he sang how fun! Come join the fun, daily except Sundays, 8:30 am.
John and Sue Ewan
USFWS Volunteers
Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), Hidalgo, Texas, US
Mar 2, 2018 8:34 AM - 12:13 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.61 mile(s)
Comments: Morning bird walk Willow and Chachalaca trail
41 species

Blue-winged Teal 32
Cinnamon Teal 4
Northern Shoveler 16
Mottled Duck 4
Green-winged Teal 3
Least Grebe 8
Pied-billed Grebe 1
Turkey Vulture 9
Harris's Hawk 2
Gray Hawk 1
Black-necked Stilt 12
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Greater Yellowlegs 2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 7
White-tipped Dove 2
Mourning Dove 3
Golden-fronted Woodpecker 6
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Ladder-backed Woodpecker 6
Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet 1 Heard only
Eastern Phoebe 1
Great Kiskadee 4
Couch's Kingbird 2
Green Jay 4
Tree Swallow 45
Black-crested Titmouse 8
Verdin 3
Carolina Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 9
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 3
Clay-colored Thrush 1
Long-billed Thrasher 5
Orange-crowned Warbler 5
Common Yellowthroat 1
Olive Sparrow 2
Savannah Sparrow 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 5
Altamira Oriole 3
Red-winged Blackbird 52
Lesser Goldfinch 1

View this checklist online at

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!