Date: 3/2/18 9:53 am
From: David Boltz via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Golden Eagle at Lake Frederick this Morning - Frederick County
On this extremely windy day I headed down to the lake this morning, hoping to find some waterfowl that was grounded. There were 15 Greater Scaup, 1 Mallard, 3 PB Grebes, 25 or so Canada Geese, and 2 Ring-billed Gulls. However, as I was going down the entry road a large raptor was ahead of me, flying away. As I got tot the parking lot, the bird did some soaring and circling in the stiff winds. I could definitely see the dark tail band with a white tail patch above it and white patches near the wing tips looking from underneath. I wasn’t convinced, however, until it turned and and I got a view of its back and still had the tail and wing patches from that view. Unfortunately, as I went into the car for my camera, the bird soared out of sight. I spent the next hour or so searching nearby fields and around the lake community, but with no further sighting. On my return trip an adult Bald Eagle came it and took a failed attempt at fishing, then perched on a tree for a while.

Dave Boltz
Lake Frederick