Date: 3/2/18 5:41 am
From: Ashley Peele via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Techniques for Finding Great-Horned Owl and Hawk nests
Hi VA Birders,

For those of you who may be engaged in birding for the VA Breeding Bird Atlas, but are not plugged into our Facebook pages or list-serv, we wanted to share a great recent article contributed by two of our dedicated project volunteers.

Much of our recent Atlas discussion has focused on owl breeding behavior, which makes this latest Atlas article very timely. Jon and Bj Little were kind of enough to share their process for finding and identifying owl and raptors nests in early spring, prior to leaf out. They collect fantastic breeding data to the Atlas project, particularly given their expertise at finding raptor nests. In fact, Jon just shared that they've found their 10th Great-horned Owl nest in northwest VA for 2018! Check out the article for their advice on using this early spring season to confirm breeding of Great-horned and Buteos.

Happy March Birding!

Ashley Peele, PhD

Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas Coordinator |

Conservation Management Institute, Virginia Tech

1900 Kraft Drive, Suite 105

Blacksburg, VA 24061

(540) 231-9182 office

(540) 231-7019 fax