Date: 3/1/18 11:08 pm
From: Charles Lyon <lyon5516...>
Subject: Feb 25, 2018 ducks, geese, cranes, and shorebirds
I apologize for the delay in getting this post out to you all. I just now had time to submit the eBird records this
evening, and I thought I should share the list and briefly mention the highlights.

The recent rains have flooded the extensive agricultural fields in southern Miller and Lafayette counties, creating
excellent transient wetland stopover habitat for shorebirds, ducks, and geese. In regards to Canvasbacks, flocks
numbering from 300 to over 600 winter on Cross Lake which is the drinking water supply for Shreveport, LA, and
not far from AR. These birds are now starting to migrate northward, and possibly the flock of 64 we found may be
some of our LA birds.The large numbers of Mallards and Gadwalls were part of the mix.

There has been a Peregrine Falcon wintering at Bundrick Farms in south Lafayette County, but the bird we saw is a
different individual and may be bird migrating with the ducks.

The Long-billed Dowitchers were divided in several flocks and behaved like migrants, and the closest wintering group
has been at Bundrick Farms, and in much smaller numbers

The 19 Pectoral Sandpipers were very early migrants, and we found two individuals in northern Caddo Parish in LA two
days earlier (2-23-18 ). This species is one of the longest distance migrants in the world second only to Arctic Tern and
perhaps Sooty Shearwater. It covers about 18,000 miles yearly going from itís arctic breeding grounds to southern
South America and back. These birds were somewhere in the middle of their journey when seen in southern Miller County
on 2-25-18.

The approximate 20,000 Snow Geese with some Rossís Geese mixed in probably were migrants from LA and/or TX
taking advantage of the temporary wetland stopover habitat created by the recent rains.

It was an incredible thrill to see the flock of 216 Sandhill Cranes feeding at peace near the thousands of resting geese.
This flock was discovered by Charles Mills last year.

The links to the two eBird lists with embedded photos are below.

Charlie Lyon
Shreveport, LA
Join us on Facebook!