Date: 3/1/18 12:01 pm
From: Linda Fink <linda...>
Subject: [obol] student birders
I live nowhere near Gladstone but if there are any teenage birders
reading OBOL who live in the Grand Ronde/Willamina/Sheridan areas and
would like to bird our Grand Ronde area farm some weekend day, I would
love to have them come bird with me. This time of year I am seeing daily
(in no particular order) out my barn windows while I milk goats:

American Kestrel
Red-tailed Hawk
California Quail (many)
Steller's Jay (many)
Scrub Jay
Red-winged Blackbird
Northern Flicker
European Starling (many)
Black-capped Chickadee
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Dark-eyed Junco (many)
Song Sparrow
Fox Sparrow (at least 4)
House Sparrow
Spotted Towhee (many)
Common Raven
Gold-crowned Sparrow (many)
American Robin
usually 2 Canada Geese
usually 2 mallards on the marshy pond (yesterday an otter was on the
pond briefly)
Pine Siskins are sometimes here in great numbers, then disappear for
days on end

Fairly often accipiters hunt here.

Elsewhere on the farm are always Pacific Wrens and Bewick's Wrens. Up
the road a piece are American Dippers and usually Bald Eagles. A
neighbor a mile away is feeding scores of Mourning Doves and Evening
Grosbeaks, plus chickadees, blackbirds, etc.

Younger eyes and ears than mine can probably find more species around
here. If interested, email <linda...>

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
OBOL archives:
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>