Date: 2/28/18 7:19 pm
From: Logan Parker <lparker.mainelakes...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Spring returning to Belgrade Lakes region - COGR, TUVU, RNDU, and RWBL.
Observed a handful of species returning to the area this afternoon/evening

- While standing in the parking lot of the Maine Lakes Resource Center in
the Belgrade Lakes village, I had a single *Common Grackle* calling from
the silver maples across the road. I turned around to also see 2 *Turkey
Vultures* soaring high over Mill Stream and moving southward.

- I stopped briefly at the south end of Messalonskee Lake while heading
home. There I had (4) *Ring-necked Ducks* in with *Canada Geese*, *Am.
Black Ducks*, *Mallards*, and *Hooded Mergansers* in the expanding area of
open water off the bridge (where Belgrade Stream outlets).

- I've been spotting a pair of *Red-tailed Hawks* in the fields just east
of the intersection of Route 3 and Riverside Drive in the Augusta. I've
seen both birds within a quarter mile of one another during both my evening
and morning commute. This evening was no exception and both birds were

- Just east of where I've been seeing the red-tails, I spotted a small dark
bird perched in a tree over a small cattail marsh behind Lapointe Lumber in
Augusta. Upon closer inspection, I found that it was a single (and very
vocal) *Red-winged Blackbird*. My first RWBL last year was on 2/28/17 so I
was listening for them today!

Maine birds mailing list
For more options, visit

Join us on Facebook!