Date: 2/28/18 6:26 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Braddock Bay Hawkwatch-28 Feb, 2018
Hi all,
A great February (!) day at the Braddock Bay Hawkwatch to follow up on a nice day yesterday.  We had 127 raptors total, with a lot of TURKEY VULTURES and RED-TAILED HAWKS.  We had five more RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS and five ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS.  We also had the first PEREGRINE FALCON (2) and AMERICAN KESTREL (1) of the season.  You can see the full raptor totals below in the ebird list or can check out the daily reports on
The CANADA GOOSE flight was excellent today with over 10,000 tallied during my time at the hawkwatch.  Ten CACKLING and two SNOW GEESE were mixed in with the Canadas.  Duck numbers were up today, especially GADWALL, AMERICAN WIGEON, and GREEN-WINGED TEAL, and I had my first NORTHERN SHOVELERS of the year.  We also had 327 TUNDRA SWANS and many even landed in front of the platform and were quite vocal.  Other highlights included some KILLDEER, two COMMON RAVENS, some EASTERN BLUEBIRDS, and many HORNED LARKS.  Good to have a few days of nice weather before the north winds and the cold over the next week, which are not ideal for raptor migration.
Full ebird list is below.
Happy Birding!Greg Lawrence

Braddock Bay Hawkwatch, Monroe, New York, US
Feb 28, 2018 9:05 AM - 3:28 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:    Many others stopped in throughout the day. Strong SW winds again today, good flight (127 raptors) for Feb 28!
54 species

Snow Goose (Anser caerulescens)  2    With Canada flocks
Cackling Goose (Richardson's) (Branta hutchinsii hutchinsii)  10    singles plus one group of 5, all with Canadas
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  10395    Count of flocks moving through all day. Steady stream of birds until 11ish then tapered off some. All flocks counted by 5s and 10s. Probably could’ve added a lot more if I arrived earlier
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)  16
Tundra Swan (Whistling) (Cygnus columbianus columbianus)  327    Count of many flocks moving through, including some that landed on the bay in front of the platform
Northern Shoveler (Spatula clypeata)  7    Exact count of birds seen initially, then a few left after being flushed.
Gadwall (Mareca strepera)  94    Exact count in one scan on water when I arrived.
American Wigeon (Mareca americana)  52    Exact count of birds on water when I arrived
Mallard (Northern) (Anas platyrhynchos platyrhynchos/conboschas)  14
American Black Duck (Anas rubripes)  3
Northern Pintail (Anas acuta)  147    A few on water plus many flyovers
Green-winged Teal (American) (Anas crecca carolinensis)  9    2 males seen initially with other ducks, then found group of 7 a bit further out towards the point
Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)  10
Redhead (Aythya americana)  150
Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris)  36
Greater Scaup (Aythya marila)  110
Lesser Scaup (Aythya affinis)  1
Long-tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis)  40
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola)  6
Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula)  25
Common Merganser (North American) (Mergus merganser americanus)  14
Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator)  1
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  67    Count of birds observed flying over the hawkwatch
Northern Harrier (Circus hudsonius)  3
Sharp-shinned Hawk (Northern) (Accipiter striatus [velox Group])  1
Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)  7    Count of birds over hawkwatch
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  2    Local adult plus one imm over hawkwatch
Red-shouldered Hawk (lineatus Group) (Buteo lineatus [lineatus Group])  5    Count of birds over hawkwatch, a bit on the early side, but seems to be the trend now.
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  37    35 over hawkwatch plus 2 locals
Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus)  5
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)  5
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  75
Herring Gull (American) (Larus argentatus smithsonianus)  45
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)  4
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon))  4
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  1
Downy Woodpecker (Eastern) (Picoides pubescens pubescens/medianus)  1
Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus)  2
American Kestrel (Falco sparverius)  1
Peregrine Falcon (North American) (Falco peregrinus anatum)  2
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  3
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  62
Common Raven (Corvus corax)  2    One early flew by close just S of platform plus another soaring later on with some TVs
Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris)  18
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) (Sitta carolinensis carolinensis)  1
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis)  3
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  20
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  50
American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea)  1
Song Sparrow (melodia/atlantica) (Melospiza melodia melodia/atlantica)  1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  2
Red-winged Blackbird (Red-winged) (Agelaius phoeniceus [phoeniceus Group])  85
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)  19
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus)  2