Date: 2/28/18 6:16 pm
From: David Williams <davewilliams8...>
Subject: Steller's Jay and Scrub-Jay continue in Morton Co

I arrived in Elkhart Tuesday about 4 pm and headed right to the K-27 bridge over the Cimarron River north of Elkhart. It wasn’t around, to include a hike through the riverbed. This Wed. morning I was driving across the bridge at 8:00 am and the Steller’s Jay was picking up grit from the roadside, north end of the bridge, west side. What a way to get a state life bird - that makes up for a few others! He would move only west into the cottonwoods while I was there. By 9:00 it had moved deeper into the cottonwoods, road traffic was picking up.

I drove across the bridge several times during the day and did not see it again on the bridge. However, while checking the Cottonwood Picnic Area at 1:00 there were two Woodhouse’s Scrub-Jays along with a Steller’s Jay, with no way of knowing if this was or wasn’t the same bird. Pictures will go on the Kansas Birding facebook page.

Other birds today:

Black-billed Magpie - 1 along Turkey Trail, the road east of the picnic area as marked by the eBird hotspot.

Loggerhead Shrike - 2 birds - one perched on a shrub was joined by a second bird, then they dropped. A very quick view and a poor photo tells me Loggerhead.

Raptors included a nice Merlin along K-27 north of town, Golden Eagle and Rough-legged Hawk in flight along K-51.

I listed White-crowned Sparrows through the day at 150. There were likely double that amount just where I traveled.

Dave Williams
Leavenworth County KS

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to