Date: 2/28/18 2:59 pm
From: <mvjohnski...>
Subject: [cobirds] Sagebrush Sparrows Plus
Hi all:

A group of us headed to Antonito to chase Sagebrush Sparrows (Conejos
County) and were not disappointed on this blustery day. We counted no less
than 11 east of Antonito. This established the earliest spring record for
the species in the San Luis valley, beating the previous date of Feb 29th.

To see them, go to Antonito and take road G east until Road F joins from
the SE. Take F and start watching for the next 2-3 miles and you should
catch them. Some were singing today. WOW.

Other great birds for the day included about 4-5,000 Sandhill Cranes at the
Monte Vista NWR (Rio Grande), hundreds of Cackling geese, 1 Greater
White-fronted Goose at the turnouts, a female Hooded Merganser on the auto
tour loop, the hybrid Greylag X Canada, and 6 Cinnamon Teal.

We missed the Rosy-finches at Hostetlers, but had a nice consolation of
Merlin! (which is why there were no Rosy-finches!)

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, Colorado

To view this discussion on the web visit<b316fb6c-e111-4197-8fb9-6411f107cb62...>
For more options, visit

Join us on Facebook!