Date: 2/28/18 2:10 pm
From: Greg Swick <grswick...>
Subject: Re: Greene co. Cinnamon Teal report 2/28
Hi MoBirders,
Yes, Jared is correct. I found the 2 male Cinnamon Teal in breeding
plumage in casual water north of Springfield at around 9:30 am. I would
have posted earlier, but had a day full of birding, lunch with friends, and
errands to run.
When I arrived the casual water was teaming with ducks and geese, including
2 Ross's Geese, and a half dozen or more Cackling Geese. The Ross' caught
my attention so I got my scope on them, but as I was scanning to the left,
I picked up the two Cinnamon drakes sleeping in the partially submerged
grasses near the edge of the water.
I was able to get the word out to a few locals, but the last known observer
was Klee Bruce at around 2:00 pm. The text I received at 2:29 from 16 year
old Klee stated: "Missouri lifer: watched them for about 10 minutes until
a semi drove into a driveway and set its air brake. Every single duck on
the pond took off and did not return"
There are a few local birders who are probably searching in the area now.
I'll update if they relocate the birds.
Here's a link to my checklist:

Good birding,
Greg Swick
Ozark, MO.

P. S. Shortly thereafter, Steve and Debbie Martin reported a single
Trumpeter Swan on Farm Road 166, east of Hwy 125 in Greene County. Ruth
Grant and I drove over to see the bird. Still there.

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 1:16 PM, Jared Gorrell <jsgorrell...> wrote:

> From Ebird, I see that 2 male Cinnamon Teal were seen at 3395 E. Farm Road
> <> in
> Franklin Township, Greene county, NE of Springfield MO. As I haven't seen
> any other posts on the listserv about them, figured I'd pass it on. Link to
> the checklist here:
> Jared Gorrell
> Jackson County IL
> February 28, 2018
> <mobirds-l-request...>
> ABA Birding Code of Ethics <>
> ASM Spring Meeting: May 4-6, 2018 at Arrow Rock Details and Online
> Registration <>

*Greg Swick*

*I believe that there is a subtle magnetism in nature, which, if we
unconsciously yield to it, will direct us aright. ~Henry David Thoreau*

ABA Birding Code of Ethics

Join us on Facebook!