Date: 2/28/18 1:33 pm
From: Carol Del-Colle <wvnaturalist...>
Subject: Red-winged Blackbird / Green-winged Teal (FOY)- Jefferson County
About 8:40 this morning while driving through Tuscawilla Hills development, I saw my first for the year Red-winged Blackbird (male).. Then, around 10:30 riding along the Shenandoah River on Rissler Road, I found a beautiful male Green-winged Teal swimming near some Common Mergansers and a pair of Mallards close to the bank. The Teal was the first one for this year for me and a very welcomed sight indeed. There were also 5 female Hooded Mergansers nearby, 3 in the water, and 2 up on some rocks. I had some good looks before a delivery truck drove noisily past me causing some of the ducks, including the teal, to take off further up river. I lost sight of the teal, and could not stay any longer to try to find it again, but was very grateful for the chance to see it when I could.

Happy birding,

Carol Del-Colle

Summit Point

Jefferson County