Date: 2/28/18 11:35 am
From: Timothy Jones <0000002bb1253dbd-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Bootheel Shorebirds: Dowitcher numbers increasing
I found my first medium size flock of Long-billed Dowitchers today in Dunklin County. There were about 300 birds loosely associating with one another in one flooded 80 acre field. Smaller numbers were found in other nearby fields.

Shorebirds are still not widespread in the Bootheel but numbers are increasing.

We had about 7.7 inches of rain last week (getting more today) and all the rice fields are flooded, many with too much water for shorebirds. However, as the water levels drop over the next few weeks, there's going to be thousands of acres of prime shorebird habitat.

Looks like this might be a very good year for spring shorebirding in the Bootheel.

Tim Jones
Dunklin County, Missouri

ABA Birding Code of Ethics
Join us on Facebook!