Date: 2/28/18 9:15 am
From: James P Smith <keenbirder...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Turner's Falls gulls and Greenfield Black Vultures
Greetings Massbirders,

February has produced an excellent show of gulls in the greater Turner's
Falls area. The birds have gathered at the power canal, Unity Park and
Barton Cove and usually choose resting/staging areas relative to the ice
conditions of the day. At the moment, most of the gull activity has been
above Turner's Falls dam and inside Barton Cove.

Iceland Gulls (kumlieni) peaked at 12 on Feb 15th, when 3 Glaucous Gulls
were also present, the latter being composed of 2 first-cycle birds and 1
second-cycle. Throughout the month, 4 - 8 Iceland Gulls have been present
on all the visits that I've made. In addition, single first-cycle Glaucous
Gulls have been present on most days with at least two individuals
involved. An adult Lesser Black-backed Gull has also been present
throughout the month.

Also of note, a nice build of migrant waterfowl towards the end of the
month with 35 Ring-necked Ducks at Barton Cove on the 28th and an
impressive flock of 29 Northern Pintail over Unity Park, Turner's Falls on
the 21st. Turkey Vultures started to appear from around Feb 21st and this
morning (Feb 28th) I came across 8 Black Vultures dispersing from a roost
on Federal Street very close to downtown Greenfield.

Images of many of these (and a few more besides) can be seen at;

Good birding,

Join us on Facebook!