Date: 2/28/18 8:32 am
From: Brodie Cass Talbott <brodietlewis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Sharpie Shock Absorbers
That could be the case in Bill's example, who knows, but it does remind me
of a story I heard from a woman I recently did a CBC with who described (if
I'm remembering correctly) a Cooper's who had learned to use her sliding
glass door as a backstop for pinning unsuspecting California Quail.

In my memory it wasn't using the window as a shock absorber but an aid to
pinning and killing the prey. Interestingly in both stories it was a larger
bird being put on the glass.

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018, 22:59 Nathaniel Wander <nw105...> wrote:

> Hiyah Bill,
> I don't believe that hawks use their prey as collision rebound devices;
> I've never seen or heard of such a thing. It also sounds like more
> planning/better built-environment sense than a hawk might have enough brain
> cells for, especially when doing all the other calculations necessary to
> take prey on the wing. I'm not sure their eyes are up to it either.
> For example, an American Kestrel has nearly twice the visual acuity of a
> human, but its peak resolution maintains only over a range 55% as wide as a
> human's. That sounds like a design for exquisite viewing of what's right
> in front of it's beak, but not such great peripheral vision--which makes
> sense, given how it makes its living.
> Added to all the other vulnerabilities bird's have for crashing into plate
> glass, the limited peripheral vision of raptors--other kinds of birds may
> need better peripheral vision to steer clear of them--just increases their
> chances of crashing. Accipiters are the raptors most likely to hunt around
> human habitation, especially when attracted into our yards by feeder birds;
> hence, the most likely to glass-crash.
> I'd say that was one very lucky Sharp-shinned and one humiliatingly
> unlucky dove.

Join us on Facebook!