Date: 2/28/18 7:49 am
From: Barbara Ritzheimer <barbritz...>
Subject: Re: Middle Creek -- Frog Question -- Snow Geese, Tundra Swans -- Lancaster County
I spent some time at Middle Creek yesterday. I'm guessing the frogs you
heard were Spring Peepers. They were calling a lot yesterday, and I heard
them when I stopped at the pond just below the visitor center.

Willow Point was so crowded yesterday that I didn't even bother going out
there. I went to the boat launch area instead. There were other birds
mixed in with the swans and geese (ruddy ducks, horned grebes, wigeon,
black ducks, mergansers). It took some careful scanning with my scope to
find them since the swans and geese had taken over most of the lake. There
were also ring-necked ducks and a pair of buffleheads on the pond below the
visitor center.

I went out to Swatara State Park later in the evening to look for
Woodcocks. The Spring Peepers were so loud it was difficult to hear the
Woodcocks. A lot of Canada Geese and Tundra Swans were migrating overhead
while I was in the park.

Barb Ritzheimer
Pine Grove
Schuylkill County

On Feb 28, 2018 12:08 AM, "reeser" <reeser...> wrote:

> Beautiful sunny day at Middle Creek today Tuesday 2/27/18. The lake below
> the visitor center was covered with tundra swans and the field just above
> the lake between it and Willow Point was covered with snow geese. The geese
> just kept flying in until they covered the hilltop by about 4PM. Earlier
> some geese were at Willow Point on the grass just below the picnic tables,
> while there were more in a field across the water (not visible from the
> road), others were on the water and farther out. Tundra swans were on the
> water to the left of the trail to the Point.
> Also, I think there must have been tons of frogs on either side of the
> main road in shallow ponds making a lot of noise, almost like birds
> calling, not quite like the bell sound of tree frogs. Had not heard this
> before at Middle Creek. Does anyone know if it definitely was frogs?
> I saw someone had posted a video on youtube of Wood Frogs at Middle Creek
> from a couple years ago. What I heard sounded about like the video. Tried
> to get a look at what was making the noise, but was not successful from the
> road. The ponds were near Willow Point turn off heading toward the visitor
> center.
> Anyway, a beautiful day, would have liked to spent more time there. There
> were a number of people lined up in front of wherever the snow geese were
> with enormous optical equipment, many more than I recall seeing several
> years ago, but no buses and no traffic jams other than trying to park near
> Willow Point parking lot.
> Ellen
> <reeser...>
> Cumberland County, PA