Date: 2/27/18 9:08 pm
From: reeser <reeser...>
Subject: Middle Creek -- Frog Question -- Snow Geese, Tundra Swans -- Lancaster County
Beautiful sunny day at Middle Creek today Tuesday 2/27/18. The lake
below the visitor center was covered with tundra swans and the field
just above the lake between it and Willow Point was covered with snow
geese. The geese just kept flying in until they covered the hilltop by
about 4PM. Earlier some geese were at Willow Point on the grass just
below the picnic tables, while there were more in a field across the
water (not visible from the road), others were on the water and farther
out. Tundra swans were on the water to the left of the trail to the Point.

Also, I think there must have been tons of frogs on either side of the
main road in shallow ponds making a lot of noise, almost like birds
calling, not quite like the bell sound of tree frogs. Had not heard this
before at Middle Creek. Does anyone know if it definitely was frogs?

I saw someone had posted a video on youtube of Wood Frogs at Middle
Creek from a couple years ago. What I heard sounded about like the
video. Tried to get a look at what was making the noise, but was not
successful from the road. The ponds were near Willow Point turn off
heading toward the visitor center.

Anyway, a beautiful day, would have liked to spent more time there.
There were a number of people lined up in front of wherever the snow
geese were with enormous optical equipment, many more than I recall
seeing several years ago, but no buses and no traffic jams other than
trying to park near Willow Point parking lot.

Cumberland County, PA
Join us on Facebook!