Date: 2/27/18 8:57 pm
From: Scott Seltman <sselt...>
Subject: Quivira Big Salt Marsh / 27 February
I made a couple laps around the Wildlife Drive at Quivira on Tuesday, 27
February. I had reasoned that after yesterday's warm southern gale maybe
some interesting early shorebirds had arrived, but the only shorebirds I saw
were about 10 Killdeer scattered around the BSM.

Two Tundra Swans were near the SW corner of the Wildlife Drive. One of
these seems to have an all-black bill, but the other has a nice yellow mark
that makes the ID certain. Other year birds included my first Northern
Shovelers of the year.

I was in Harper County on Friday, 23 February, and briefly saw the
Pyrrhuloxia atop its favorite brush pile at Anthony Lake. I also saw and
obtained fairly close photographs of yet another Northern Shrike in Harper
County, this one about 5 miles NNW of the town of Harper. And a mile north
of the shrike I encountered my first Red-shouldered Hawk in Harper. I'm
sure RSHA is well established along the main rivers, but I've not been
seeing them in the upland areas when I spend all my time.

That's about it. My birding year is off to a fast start, though I'm falling
a little short of my goal of 150 by March 1.

Scott Seltman

Larned, Kansas

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to