Date: 2/27/18 3:53 pm
From: Tom Ewert <ewert.tom...>
Subject: SW Kansas
Atcha Nolan, Carolyn Schwab, Kevin Groeneweg and I birded our way from Wichita to Elkhart and back yesterday and today.
The fun started yesterday at Kingman SFL with 3 trumpeter swans. We also county listed in Kiowa, Clark and Stevens on the way out picking up a lot of winter birds. It was windy all day.
The Hugoton sewage ponds were loaded with ducks and all 5 geese, adding a couple species to the county list.
Last evening we immediately went out to the bridge and cottonwood picnic area. After searching a while, Kevin located one of the Woodhouse scrub jays.
This morning we started early at the cemetery, shelter belt and sewage ponds, then the work station, picking up county birds for some of us. We didn't find anything special.
About 9 am we got to the bridge again and immediately saw one steller's jay on the railing. Within minutes (seconds) there were 2 steller's and 4 W. scrub jays on the bridge, often within feet of each other, eating grit off the road. I think we watched them 15 min or so as they would be flushed by trucks and come back. Eventually they left and we did too. Carolyn and Kevin both got photos of the jays and the lists are on ebird.
We stopped at Meade SFL on our way back and added more county birds to our list.
A great trip with good friends to see some really good birds.
Tom Ewert (with help from Atcha, Carolyn, and Kevin)

Sent from my iPhone
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to