Date: 2/27/18 3:37 pm
From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack995...>
Subject: [texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR.
It was a cloudy day threatening rain but the heavy rain held off until we
were almost finished. We went right away to Wildlife Drive looking for the
Cinnamon Teals and found them in the marsh on the right midway down Plover
pad road. We saw the female Bald Eagle on one of the power poles near the
crossover between Tern and Egret pads. She was eating a fish and
completely ignored us. In the east end of Steedman Marsh we found a Dunlin
with some Greater Yellowlegs. We saw one White-faced Ibis feeding by the
road on Wildlife Dr. Near the Hagerman Cemetery we heard a Northern
Bobwhite calling. We saw the first Barn Swallows of the season flying near
Plover pad. We saw 28 Red-tailed Hawks, 12 Red-shouldered Hawks and 5
Northern Harriers. We finished the day with 83 species.
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!