Date: 2/27/18 11:49 am
From: Laura Paulson <laura...>
Subject: [texbirds] Fwd: eBird Report - Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), 27-Feb-2018
Hello Texbirders,
The word of the day was persistence. We could hear birds but to see them we
had to be patient and look hard. However, find them we did! We happened
upon the first real treat early on, an at-first-heard-only-in-the-distance
Northern Beardless Tyrannulet. It flew right to us, called some more, then
perched up for lengthy and repeated views. Sweet! They have been illusive
lately. Verdin were calling everywhere but it took a long time to get one
in our sights. When we did, again, it was worth the wait. Repeated views by
all. Two adult Gray Hawks ... not often seen on refuge walks this year ...
flying all-too-fast together over Willow Lakes were a personal favorite
Guided walks leave from the Visitor Center at 8:30 am every day but Sunday.
Bug spray and protective clothing recommended!

Laura and Steve Paulson
USFWS Volunteers
Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge
Alamo, Texas