Date: 2/27/18 3:53 am
From: Scott Weidensaul <scottweidensaul...>
Subject: Re: Drones
While flying drones may be permitted in many areas under FAA regs, there are additional laws and regulations that may apply — including those restricting or prohibiting the harassment of federally protected birds (which is almost all of them). State and federal wildlife agencies are taking an increasingly hard look at *how* the drones are flown, not just where, and the statutes that prohibit harassment of wildlife by other means can be used to cite or prosecute drone owners, as well. Drones are a little bit like shotguns in that regard — having one may be legal, but not necessarily how you use it.

Scott Weidensaul
Schuylkill Haven, PA

> On Feb 26, 2018, at 9:41 PM, Jim Flowers <artsnimages...> wrote:
> Unless it's State or Federal government land, or restricted by the GAS,
> drones would be legal.
> On Feb 26, 2018 2:59 PM, "Joe Sebastiani" <bunker17...> wrote:
>> Maybe this has been discussed before, but I regularly bird Somerset Lake
>> in New Garden Twp., southern Chester County. Today was the second time
>> recently that I have seen the same lakeside homeowner fly their drone over
>> the whole lake with the intent of scaring all the Canada Geese away. The
>> drone has some kind of 6-foot long trailing rope or netting attached to it
>> to add to the effect. I was seeing upwards of 3,000 geese roost on this
>> lake in early winter. At this point it is in the low hundreds. Perhaps
>> they got the message and now roost elsewhere.
>> My main question is whether or not this is legal. The lake is a private,
>> man-made lake that was present prior to all the homes surrounding the
>> lake. Maybe residents can do what they want legally, but to me it is
>> harassment of migratory waterfowl. Over the years, 30 species of ducks,
>> geese, and swans have been recorded on the lake. This winter, it seems
>> rather devoid of duck diversity, and perhaps it is this dude with the drone.
>> Joe Sebastiani
Join us on Facebook!