Date: 2/27/18 2:21 am
From: Barbara Deihl <barbdeihl...>
Subject: [Tweeters] sounds and a few sights of spring in and near a sun-warmed Seattle yard
While doing a few projects out in the yard in the day's sun, the "zipperbirds" (Pine Siskins} stood out with their constant, ascending "zeeets". Intermittently, some Band-tailed Pigeons made a few owllike coos. Chipping sounds came from Dark-eyed Juncos and an Anna's Hummingbird. Bewick's Wrens provided a variety of calls and there was one Pacific Wren singing for a moment. I kept hearing soft 1-2 second churring trill calls from about 10-20 ft. up in several deciduous trees - never saw those birds and have yet to ID them by sound. But, it sure was glorious to hear some notes of incoming spring. Quite a few Ruby-crowned Kinglets added some notes to the pre-spring chorus. The sun is starting to make the sap run in some of the trees - a Scot's pine dropped some sticky goo which smelled quite refreshing when I played with it on my fingertips. Final excitement was the start of the opening of the hot-pink flowering currant buds, soon to draw the Anna's Hummingbirds and later, mason and bumble-bees. All of this is a bit temporary, though, as snow is still predicted in forthcoming days and nights. A pleasant respite from the pelting of hail and bitter cold winds and gives hope that climate change isn't yet erasing a promising season.

Barb Deihl
Tweeters mailing list
Join us on Facebook!