Date: 2/26/18 6:24 pm
From: Jacob Mathison <jacobmathison1...>
Subject: [obol] TWO White-tailed Kites over my house!
Hi all,
Just had a very odd sighting outside my house west of Finley NWR on Starr
Creek Rd. Two WHITE-TAILED KITES flew over, one of which looked like an
adult. I stepped outside and looked up to find two raptors circling quite
low, and immediately recognized them as Kites by the flight style and the
shape. They seemed to be moving west when one peeled off back east. The
other made another circle, showing me its black shoulder patches and color
making it an adult or almost one. It then headed directly west in a
straight line, looking rushed because of its rather vigorous flight for a
Kite. I watched it until it disappeared somewhere between me and Alsea.
This is my second sighting of a WT Kite here in my yard, the first one
being back in 2014. That one sat in a tree for a few minutes, hunting over
our meadow.

A very fun sighting! Also interesting around here is the continuing
NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL, still hunting and being super cooperative though he
isn't around every day any more. The Saw-whet Owl hasn't made an appearance
in at least a week. Also had my first BAND-TAILED PIGEON a week ago.

Jacob Mathison

"If you keep a green tree in your heart, perhaps a singing bird will
come." ~Chinese Proverb

Join us on Facebook!