Date: 2/26/18 3:29 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
It was seasonally cool when we set out out on this morning's Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk.  Once again, we were able to draw a large crowd of 30 birders who tallied 40 species.  Some of our highlights included our first Tree Swallows of the season, and freshly molted Eastern Bluebirds exploring potential nesting sites.

Canada Goose  25
Wood Duck  6
Northern Shoveler  20
Mallard  25
Green-winged Teal  2
Hooded Merganser  10
Wild Turkey  6
Pied-billed Grebe  2
Great Blue Heron  2
Turkey Vulture  3
Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
American Coot  2
Ring-billed Gull  5
Mourning Dove  7
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  10
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Downy Woodpecker  5
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  3
Fish Crow  2
crow sp.  2
Carolina Chickadee  6
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
Carolina Wren  7
Eastern Bluebird  6
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  120
Yellow-rumped Warbler  3
Song Sparrow  2
Swamp Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  12
Red-winged Blackbird  300
Common Grackle  7
House Sparrow  1

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 8AM (7AM from April through October), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Nancy VehrsFriends of Huntley Meadows Park