Date: 2/26/18 3:16 pm
From: Judy & Don <9waterfall9...>
Subject: Pine Warbler & a BAT
Today is the first time I've heard a Pine Warbler singing, and the first time this winter that he's visited the suet feeder.

On this unseasonably warm afternoon I also noticed a bat flying around in sunshine and warmth above the stream. I first saw it about 4 pm, making figure 8's or ellipses through a big hatch of tiny flying insects. The wings and body were sort of a warm orangish color when the sun illuminated them and the bat may be about the size of a big brown. Merlin Tuttle writes in America's Neighborhood Bats that "red bats are among the earliest evening flyers" so that could be what I'm seeing. Glad there are bugs out for nourishment.

Every evening this past week, even in the rain, I have enjoyed displays by American Woodcocks in their lek out front of the house, the savanna/prairie area being restored here at Ninestone. The native plants seem to be to their liking.

Ninestone, Carroll County
Join us on Facebook!