Date: 2/26/18 11:46 am
From: Laura Paulson <laura...>
Subject: [texbirds] Fwd: eBird Report - Santa Ana NWR (LTC 059), 26-Feb-2018
Hi Texbirders,
We got lucky with today's walk. When the rain started we happened to be at
the covered blind ... the perfect place to wait out a squall. An assortment
of waterfowl, coots, grebes, shorebirds, warblers and soras, even a verdin,
entertained us while until the skies dried up. It was a four Sora day, a
first for this winter season and so definitely a highlight. Perhaps the
most interesting encounter today was with two birds we couldn't (or didn't)
ID to species. While at Willow Lakes we watched as two raptors (or so we
thought) flew across our view, one in front of the other. We didn't pay
much attention to the second bird as we all focused on the first bird with
a universal "what is that?" reaction. It seemed falcon-like but not
falcon-like with a short tail and a big bulbous head. It wasn't until later
that we came to the conclusion it was a parrot, something we don't usually
see in the refuge. After that the walk turned quite birdy with orioles,
woodpeckers and mixed flocks all around. And after a week with no pauraques
to be found, today gifted us with one. Good people. Good birds. What more
could we ask for?
Guided bird walks leave from the Visitor Center at 8:30 am every day but
Sunday. All are welcome.

Laura and Steve Paulson
USFWS Volunteers
Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge