Date: 2/26/18 10:30 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Poplar Island 2/23/2018
It's been a while since I posted any of my census data, but I am still going out twice a month to survey the island's birdlife. Surveys have been relatively consistent this winter, with no major surprises.

The last Snowy Owl observation was on January 19 (not by me). There are at least nine Short-eared Owls and four Black-crowned Night-Herons roosting/overwintering along the Cell 1A barges. Virginia Rails and Marsh Wrens (both of which I've encountered), and American Bitterns (which I have not encountered, but have been documented by other staff members) are also overwintering onsite. Offshore waterfowl is generally consistent in species composition. I was pleased to find a pair of Snow Buntings on my January 29 and February 6 censuses.

My recent survey is here:
For more surveys:

I am looking forward to the first big push of spring to shake things up a bit! In the meantime, it is nice to see so many interesting birds using the site, even if species composition is consistent from census to census.

Tim Carney
Parkville, MD

To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group on the web at
Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it here -

Join us on Facebook!