Date: 2/25/18 2:18 pm
From: Donald Sweig via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Good Ducks: Riverbend Park,Sunday
I thought it was going to be a slow birding day when I got to Riverbend Park this afternoon, but it turned out to be very good.
The highlight was two male Common Goldeneye quietly sleeping and feeding in the river just north of Conn island by the white buoys. No question; I had excellent scope views. This is only the second time in 20 years that I personally have ever seen male Common Goldeneye on this portion of the river.
Two male Red-breasted Mergansers, close in from the observation deck.

Common Mergansers, several.
Five Wood Ducks, four males and one female, near the shore at Conn island.

Two Canvasbacks
Two American widgeon
Eight or 10 Gadwall
Twenty or more Redhead
Lots of Bufflehead
200 or more Ring-necked ducks
Pied/billed Grebe
Two Horned Grebes
Possible/probable Red-necked Grebe;
I only saw this bird briefly, one time, over on the shore of Conn island. Couldn’t refind the bird, but it looked different than the Horned Grebes nearby.
Surprisingly nice day on the river.
Donald Sweig
Falls Church, Virginia

Sent from my iPhone