Date: 2/25/18 1:07 pm
From: Rick Robinson <birder18...>
Subject: Red-breasted Mergansers, Chambers Lake, Chester County
Visited the lake for first time in a while, at 3:00PM; grabbed binos, no
camera/ no scope and headed across the muddy field out back.

First view was (17) redhead, hugging the berm, then (5) bufflehead, (1)
horned grebe, (6) gadwall, (2) mallard. I could hear a bunch of wigeon
around the bend- headed that way; A few steps and a flotilla of ducks
began to swim out from the back, mostly ring-necks with many wigeon. Out
in front were (3) red-breasted mergansers: 1M/ 2F. They all took flight:
estimated 150 birds minimum, (125) ring-necks/ 25 wigeon. Mergansers
must have joined in flight, as I did not see them again. As I stood
there (3) pileated woodpecker began calling across the lake, and then
flew, one-by-one towards "my" side and landed in the nearby trees,
calling all the while. Couple boaters on the lake and a handful of
fishermen along the shores and by the boat launch.

Rick Robinson, Chester County
Join us on Facebook!