Date: 2/25/18 11:09 am
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] Goshawk - Arapahoe
This morning (2/25), my wife and I took our dogs on a long walk from our
home, through deKoevend, and up the High Line Canal Trail to S. Broadway in
Littleton (Arapahoe). As we passed through Milliken Park, we encountered a
Northern Goshawk. The enormous bird -- I suspect a female -- first glided
low over the canal away from us (headed west). At that point, I didn't yet
know it was a Goshawk -- just a large, slate-backed, broad-winged bird. I
looked for it and its perch, but couldn't find it. Thankfully, the bird
soon flew low over the canal trail, directly over us, giving good looks at
white eyebrow, dark head, and pale belly. It was a thrilling moment, to
have the bird so close, but it ended too soon -- as the bird disappeared
again, out of view behind neighborhood trees, in a hidden perch, or perhaps
just gone. We didn't see it again during our return walk, nor did I find it
on a return visit to the park around 11:30.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

To view this discussion on the web visit<a1dbe74e-944d-4aba-b907-eeb6d03b6433...>
For more options, visit

Join us on Facebook!