Date: 2/25/18 11:09 am
From: Alan Buriak <a_buriak...>
Subject: Northern Shovelers - Armstrong County
Some waterfowl finally starting showing up. This morning, I drove around the Worthington area and at the pond at Wilson and Hogg Roads there were 4 Northern Shovelers. They flushed when a car turned onto Hogg Rd and did not return. There was also an adult Bald Eagle perched in the trees west of Wilson Rd and in a flooded field on Hogg Rd was a drake Wood Duck. Then on Green Acres Rd were several singing Eastern Meadowlarks and a singing Horned Lark. The amount of bird song and general activity was sort of amazing for a February morning. In general, the area was filled with Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles, and Killdeer as well. Then later today in the afternoon I refound the 4 Shovelers in a pond on Slate Lick Rd just south of Green Acres farm, and with them were 3 Wood Ducks and a Hooded Merganser. However the Allegheny River sites are still largely void of waterfowl, partly because of the extremely high and rough condition of the river. One exception was yesterday north of Lock 6 at the mouth of Nicholson Run where I had a group of 14 Gadwalls and 4 Northern Pintails.

Good birding,
Alan Buriak
Gibsonia, Allegheny County