Date: 2/25/18 7:13 am
From: Kurt Schwarz <krschwa1...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Maryland Bills That Will Help Save Birds in Maryland and Beyond

Greetings Maryland Birders,

The Maryland Ornithological Society is working to help pass four bills in the Maryland General Assembly this session. You can help pass these bills, by contacting your Delegates and Senators. Below you will find actionable links for each of those pairs of bills. Please consider taking action to benefit our birds.
If the links below are not enables/hotlinked, please copy and paste it in your browser. Canned texts are included in all, but legislators will take more notice if you use some of your own words.

The Maryland Bird-Safe Building Act of 2018. This was created in part by our subcommittee Sake Skies Maryland, and would direct bird-safe building standards for new state buildings, primary by minimizing glass, and using bird-safe glass that they can actually see. You will have to look up your legislators and cut and paste, or better yet, use your own text.

The Chlorpyrifos Ban. This substance is toxic to birds, and affects brain development in children. It is out of committee in the Senate. Write your Senators today! Note that it still awaits action in the House of Delegates, we have no alert

Note that it still awaits action in the House of Delegates, we have no alert at the time, but you can sign up for action alerts here:

The Expanded Polystyrene Foam Food Container Ban: Foam breaks down into smaller and smaller particles, absorbs toxins and algae,tasty to aquatic life, and enters the food web. 90% of all seabirds have plastic in their digestive systems, with foam a large part of that. Alternatives are cheap, and at most just one small business manufacturer in Maryland will be affected. Dunkin Donuts and others are already getting rid of foam cups, the industry is moving this way.

The Forest Conservation Act. This is an update to the 1991 bill, focusing on priority forests, the large ones with all those Forest-interior Dwelling Species. It won't be putting trees in pollinator meadows.;jsessionid=00000000.app334a?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=175&s_subsrc=1802_AV_EM_EVT_RRR_ev_xx&NONCE_TOKEN=37C826CCD3B44C3A0AA1869C120FF05D

Kurt Schwarz

Ellicott City, Howard County
Conservation Chair
Maryland Ornithological Society

To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group on the web at
Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it here -

Join us on Facebook!